Updated: Apr 10
As you know that WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER shoot for you over a period of 2 to 3 days, they get comfortable and share their anxieties about how difficult and confusing it gets when it comes to hiring specialized services like wedding photography and films. I am sure after reading this post you will get a clarity on how to choose the right wedding photographer and later have an awesome experience going through your own wedding pictures.
1. Budget : What should be the right budget for photography? Is it too less? Am I spending more and going overboard? These question are bound to keep you confused and keep you searching for the right answer. There is a much publicized option of keeping a certain percentage aside of the entire wedding budget. Always keep a range in your mind while deciding on the budget. Don’t blindly follow advice of someone else. Love and admiration for photography are key contributors in deciding a budget. Think wise and see how much you see your wedding pictures as investment. Don’t lose the opportunity to spend little extra for better style and quality of photography, you won’t regret it later.
2. Identify Style : There are lot of terms being used these days when it comes to contemporary wedding photography. Lifestyle wedding photographer, wedding photojournalist, fine art wedding photographer and the famous candid wedding photographer.
3. Right Portfolio : When you are shortlisting a wedding photographer make sure he/she has a right portfolio. The wedding photographer should have few individual weddings listed in his/her portfolio. You may not want to shortlist a wedding photographer who shares only the selected one or two best images from each wedding for his/her portfolio.
4. Consistency in the shoot : This is one of the most undervalued and ignored aspects. It is quite natural to get awed looking at wedding pictures. But if there is no consistency in the quality of pictures throughout a wedding, the wedding day and the pre-wedding events like sangeet and mehndi, the cause is lost. You would like to see the shoot with the same quality of photography for each event.
6. Communication : Your prospective wedding photographer should be able to communicate ideas and understand your requirements.
7. References : Choosing a wedding photographer referred by a friend can be a good idea. If he/she has already covered a wedding in the family/friend circle, you will have a clarity on all the above points mentioned so far. You can easily shortlist him/her and evaluate with other shortlisted photographers.
8. Overworked Wedding Photographer : There are lot of wedding photographers who shoot a limited number of weddings in a month or year. This not only helps them balance their personal and professional life but also justify a full lively effort on each wedding.
9. Write Personalized Email : Don’t be afraid to reach out to your wedding photographer with your requirements and budget. Lot of brides/couples don’t share enough details in their initial conversation or emails. Share your ideas on how you are excited about your wedding. How and where you are planning it. As a best wedding photographer, we get so many emails and most of the times, the emails are so short in information that it is does not excite the wedding photographer. Don’t make your email just another email in his/her inbox. A top wedding photographer who takes up only a limited number of wedding assignments in a month or year, can make a difference. Keep the conversation honest and going. If you have zeroed in your wedding photographer make sure you drop a courtesy email that you have chosen your wedding photographer.